Friday, September 19, 2008

Such is the misery of too much sleep!

My eyes are gummy as I fight the urge to shut them again. It's almost as if there are magnets on each lid, attracting each other. Slowly and grudgingly, I role to one side in preparation to sit up. Through bleary vision, I attempt to read the glowing, red letters on the alarm clock. 2:00 PM! Shocked, there is no longer a need to fight sleep. Panic has set in and, strangely, I feel no need to languish in bed. Jumping up, I stumble to the dresser, off balance from the quick movement. My body hasn't quite caught up to the commands of my brain. MOVE! Scrambling through the drawers for clothes that hopefully match when I put them on. Thank God, it's Saturday and not a week day. No work to miss, but all my plans for the day. Laundry, shopping, bike ride and more! I know I turned off the lights at 11:00 last night. How could I have slept for fifteen hours?

I check my phone for any messages and strangely there are none. Odd, since I usually hear from family and friends on Saturdays. They know it's the best day to reach me. Resigned, I hop in the shower and fly through my typical morning routine. Hair, face, body. Spin, spin, spin. Should have practiced the "Airborne Shower" more in college.

After dressing, I check the phone again. No messages. Maybe it's not so bad. Feed the cat. Gather the laundry. Pull together my cycling gear. One last look around the house and I open the door.

Darkness greets me through the door frame. Confused, I gaze down on the deserted parking lot. One high street light throws illumination between my building and the one opposite. This isn't right. Closing the door, I check my phone one more time. With a growing unease I read the time with a fully alert gaze. 2 AM! Back to sleep I go.

No comments: