Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Roasted Eggplant Parmesan

The starting point.
This recipe is inspired by a recipe I found in Healthy Cooking for Two (or Just You) by Frances Price, RD. I've tweaked it a bit and it serves about 8 people by the time I'm done with it. I basically took the recipe, substituted some quicker parts and added mushrooms to make it a little heartier. It makes really great leftovers.

Ingredients
2 large eggplants
1 package sliced baby portobello mushrooms
8 oz. bag of shredded mozzarella cheese
1 jar pasta sauce (I use the garden or veggie type)
olive oil

Preheat the oven to 400°.
Trim both ends from each eggplant and slice them crosswise into circles of equal thickness. About 3/8" to 1/4". Brush a baking sheet with olive oil, arrange the slices on it in a single layer and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the slices are browned on top and tender in the center.
Rinse mushrooms.
Reduce the oven temperature to 375°.
Brush a 9" x13" pan with oil and arrange a single layer of eggplant slices in the bottom of the pan. Spoon marinara sauce over the eggplant. Cover with a layer of sliced mushrooms and half the mozzarella. Repeat all layers.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cheese is browned. Serve immediately.

So in my recipe, I've replaced the fresh mozzarella with shredded, since I had a hard time slicing the chuck of cheese and I needed to cut the time down.
The final masterpiece.

No comments: