Friday, August 14, 2009

And they keep coming up with new things...

For me, it all started with myspace. It seems so long ago, though it was probably only four or five years. But then, in the technology world, I guess that's ancient. Then I finally decided to join Facebook because it sounded more professional and networking oriented. That's how they get you hooked. And myspace sees me once every four or five months now.

Now over a year later, I have 150 friends that I'm randomly keeping track of how their lives are going. That's the great part. Where I used to want to write letters, post cards or something to keep in touch (a big production!), I can now browse their current status, see new pictures and quickly shoot off a message once in a while. That's pretty neat.

Then comes the scary part. Someone sends you an invitation to play a game... Sometimes they sound interesting, so you think, why not? It can't hurt, right? Think again. One game turns into two, turns into three. Not to mention the quizzes that start popping up. Personality quizzes, '80s music quizzes, quizzes to see where in the world you should live.

After joining a mafia family, building a farm and a theme park, adopting a virtual pet, getting kidnapped and kidnapping others in return, I think it's time to stop. Well, maybe just a few... You know keep one. But see then the justifications start again. Just one game, one more hour and before you know it, it's midnight and you have to be up at 5:30 the next morning.

Oh, and don't forget twitter. Just 140 little characters. Not much right? Oh, except you want to make sure that you you sound interesting and intelligent so someone will read your little tweets. Granted, they have figured out how to link twitter to facebook (time-saver!). One status update and two places are covered. And connect twitter to your blog (better traffic!). But then you have to take the time to figure out how to make all the connections.

Who knows what the next part will be? Maybe it's already out there and I just haven't heard about it yet. Everyone seems to be talking about twitter still, so maybe I'm not that far behind the curve. So here's to my first multi-tasking blog. One blog, one tweet update, one status update.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This blog post could have been written about me. I have to go back to school in two weeks and I am definitely going to have Facebook withdrawal.