Sunday, August 9, 2009

Donating Blood

The calls began about a week and a half ago. Shortly, after July 26th. I know this because that is the day I was eligible to donate blood again. Having Type O- (the universal donor) blood makes me in high demand as a donor. I try to make the appointment every eight weeks, as often as they let me. Sometimes my iron is not high enough and I can't donate. Today that wasn't a problem.

After a quick "health screening" which includes blood pressure, heart rate, and iron, it was off to wait for the next chair... bed... whatever it's called. The process was long today because they wound up with a lot of donations. Not a bad problem to have. Unfortunately, it meant that my "appointment" time meant nothing. I had a 10:30 time slot and didn't start the actual "extraction" process until almost 11:30.

The plebotomist who took care of me was very friendly, though she said she wasn't 100% because she skipped breakfast. I, of course, had to lecture her about the importance of eating breakfast. I guess I am like my mom in that respect. I also learned that the plebotomists are not allowed to dress up as vampires on halloween. Personally, I don't see why not. The corollary should be humorous not scary.

When donating blood, I've discovered as long as I relax and don't look when they stick the needle in me, I have no problem with the entire process. Today, the sting was a little more than usual, but quickly faded. All in all, the donation time is fairly short, maybe ten minutes and done. After the plebotomist wrapped up my arm (purple band, of course), I scooted over to the kitchen area to grab a cookie and headed out the door.

If you've never donated before and are eligible, I highly recommend giving it a shot. Pun intended. Blood centers are typically running short of supply for hospitals. Maintaining these stores are important for surgeries and urgent care situations.


No comments: