Tuesday, September 22, 2009

New Health Care Ad featuring my Mom!

As the daughter of the woman in the video, let me add some information that could not be included in a 60 second ad.
Growing up, my family had two insurance plans. First, my father had insurance through his company, a government contractor. It should have been a good plan. He had secondary insurance in the form of his benefits as a retired Navy officer. In addition, once he went on disability, my parents paid $5000 every six months for COBRA coverage. There is no lack of “personal responsibility” in these decisions.
When my father was dying (the last six months of his life), he required 24 hour care as he could not walk, could not bathe, could not feed himself. None of the insurance plans would cover this service and my mom was forced to quit working in order to care for him.
The result was bankruptcy and foreclosure on our house. Every family is one major illness away from having this happen to them.

No comments: