Friday, October 10, 2008

Life Evaluation - Part I

This post begins a series of posts inspired by books and articles I've read, movies I've seen and seminars I've attended. The theme of all these pieces relate to life evaluation. Identifying where you are, where you want to be and how to get there.

At 31, I'm fairly content with my life, but that's no reason not to want more! I do not believe the statement "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies to all aspects of life. Even if a part of your life is clicking along fairly decently, there's nothing wrong with making it better.

Thus, I start with my gratitude list. This idea was inspired from watching the movie, based on the book, The Secret. I’ll admit that when I heard the book generally talked about, I was a bit cynical at first. Getting things in life by just thinking about them? Nothing’s quite that easy. Well, after watching the movie, I realized it wasn’t quite as simplistic as that, but I won’t go into quantum physics, etc. here. Incidentally, the movie was very interesting and had a lot of guest speakers who have lead me to other books that I have started reading.

I am grateful for:
a supportive mother who always believed I could and made sure I knew it.
a sister who loves me no matter what and will always be my first defender as well as my “what about this?” voice.
friends who laugh with me, cry with me, play with me and work with me.
a crazy cat that isn’t codependent.
the ability to heal from life’s minor and major setbacks, both physically and emotionally.
the endurance to finish a 60-mile bike ride. Soon 100 miles!
an inquiring mind that always wants to know more.
books to read on every subject imaginable, from the serious to the fluffy.
the ability to support myself independent of anyone.
the ability to recognize when I need help and ask for it.

This is a good starting place. There are a lot of things in my life that make me feel grateful. Hopefully, I’ll be adding to them soon.

Another note about The Secret… When I watched the movie, there were many guest speakers participating in the video. I really liked what several of them had to say, so I checked some of their books out of the library.

The Dreaming Universe by Fred Alan Wolf
The Spiritual Universe by Fred Alan Wolf
Harmonic Wealth by James Arthur Ray

No comments: