Friday, October 24, 2008

Returning to Normal

In less than 48 hours I should be finished with my first bicycle century. For those of you that don't know, that's 100 miles on a bicycle. And the seat's not large! As I sit here contemplating the last few months, I'm amazed at all the hard work and preparation that went into this accomplishment.
Sunday will be the culmination of a physical and philanthropic journey. Two years ago, I joined the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training to complete a marathon and raise funds for the society’s programs. Earlier this year, I took up cycling regularly for the first time in my life. Wanting to learn more about bicycles and cycling as a sport, I remembered that Team in Training also had cycling teams.
Finding out when then next season started, I signed up to ride in the Intracoastal Waterway Century. As part of that commitment, I agreed to fundraise $2,300 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. What I did was take a personal desire and transformed it into a worthy goal.
In the past five months, I have learned to fix a flat, repair a chain, keep hydrated, eat properly and increased endurance. These were the physical things I earned in my journey to this weekend.
However, I have also learned more about blood cancers, heard touching stories of how people’s lives have been affected by disease and renewed my faith that people are caring, thoughtful individuals who want to help one another.
An added bonus to this whole endeavor are the new people I have met—hopefully some will be friends for years to come. I am honored to have met a wide variety of people from all walks of life.
So after Sunday, my life will return to some semblance of normalcy. No more Sunday rides and back to regular Weightwatchers meetings and yoga. My project for the next couple of months is going to be me!

No comments: